Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tsunami Advisory

I've had four days of graduate classes and I think I just might make it through this program without getting too stressed, too overwhelmed, or too busy... Which is fine by me!

Thursday and Friday of last week were really not much in the way of barometer days as to how the semester, err, quarter will likely go. Yesterday and today, however, have been more like my schedule will likely turn out to resemble. I've now attended all my classes (which have changed since I posted my schedule previously - see below for the updated scoop) and have held my first session of office hours as a TA, which went very well. All in all I think that if I can stay current on my assignments (I have two already) that I should be just fine!

Here's a low-down on my classes for those who are interested:

SE201 - Structural Analysis - Very similar to the structural analysis classes I took at State as it will employ matrix methods, though it sounds like we will be employing a bit more computer programming to solve problems, which will be cool. The professor, Dr. Shing, seems to be very knowledgeable though doesn't do nearly as good a job presenting the material as Dr. Matzen did for me the last 2 years. Nonetheless, because most of the class should be a review, I'm looking forward to a new perspective on the topic.

SE212 - Steel Design - This class should be excellent. Dr. Uang (pronounced "Wang") is combining steel and seismic design methods into one class, two of the things I was most looking forward to learning about during this program. I had my first lecture with him today and I think, so far, that he's an excellent teacher - he did a great job of helping the class to visualize and conceptualize the essential design procedure, and I'm eager to really get things going in the class.

SE271 - Solid Mechanics - I was originally doubting the necessity of another solid mechanics class (after having seemingly more than enough experience in undergrad) but that all changed after attending just one lecture with Dr. Lubarda. The class uses tensor calculus, a branch of math I've never employed, so I'm very excited to pick up that new skill while applying it to mechanics problems. He also seems to be a fantastic professor, and I've heard good things from students that had him during their undergrad at UCSD, so it should be another great class!

SE290 - Graduate Seminar/Invited Speakers - I guess I lied about having been to all my classes - I've not yet attended this one, because it doesn't start until next week! However, the first presenter is supposed to be Ronald Eguchi from ImageCat, Inc., speaking on the topic of "Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and Other Disasters: A View from Space." It sounds very intriguing - I'm looking forward to it!

SE101A - Statics - This is the class I'm TAing along with 2 other graduate students. It should be very straightforward, though it may provide the majority of my work during the week, as the TAs are required to complete the homework sets (which are optional for students enrolled in the class - homework isn't graded) in order to be helpful in office hours. It's all stuff I've seen before, though, so it should be relatively easy!


Believe it or not the West Coast is under a Tsunami Advisory after today's magnitude-8.0 earthquake near Samoa. Here's an excerpt from the Union-Tribune article about the advisory:
Coastal areas of California and Oregon, including San Diego County's shoreline, are under a tsunami advisory from Tuesday night through Wednesday morning after a powerful earthquake struck in the Pacific Ocean near Samoa.

Significant, widespread inundation is not expected, and estimates are that the tsunami will likely add no more than 6 inches to expected wave height locally.

Still, Ron Lane, director of the San Diego County Office of Emergency Service, issued this advisory Tuesday night:

“We recommend that coastal residents stay out of the water and boaters stay docked tonight due to the strong currents and choppy waters.

“While we do not expect any damaging waves or inundation, for safety purposes we are discouraging people from going to the beach or harbors and marinas to view the event."

I guess I should add 6" tsunamis to the list of earthquakes, sharks, wildfires, and poor drivers as things to avoid in California. (Not to make light of the serious situations that tsunamis like today's cause in the Pacific realm - it is sobering to hear news of the deaths caused by this force of nature.) Anyway, there's always something to look out for!

That's about all for now - more to come later this week or during the weekend! Love to everyone at home!

1 comment:

  1. Tsunami was not on my list of "things to worry about while Sam is in CA" either. Actually, 6" wave increase sounds like it might add to one's surfing fun. Your classes sound challenging to me, but with your enthusiasm, you can do anything! XO

    ReplyDelete