Saturday, September 19, 2009

The First Week

I'm learning to love the fact that college football starts at 9AM on the west coast. Wake up, breakfast, football. It's a beautiful way to start the weekend! I'm watching the Florida versus Tennessee game and I just realized that if I wasn't sitting here in La Jolla that I'd probably be cheering on the Gators in the Swamp. Nonetheless, I'm a Triton now, and I'm very happy with the decision I've made to move to Southern California.

Thankfully I got to spend most of the last week continuing to get settled. My days have been, for the most part, very laid-back - Keri and I spent time at the beach two afternoons this week, and I made my way down there by myself one day as well. I spent most of the day on Wednesday at the university-wide orientation session for incoming graduate students. It was informative and well-organized, plus I met a couple of other incoming graduates though none of them will be in my department. Those introductions will come next week during departmental orientation and TA training on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Yesterday morning I got up early and went hiking with Gil (a roommate), Mike (a former roommate in the house), and Burcu (Gil's girlfriend's roommate) at Cowles Mountain, just east of La Jolla. It was an early start to get out there and do the hike in time for Gil to get back for an interview, but we had a great time. The trail up was a moderately-steep, 2.1-mile out-and-back route up to the summit, and it took us only about 45 minutes each way... the last quarter mile or so was intense, though!

The views from the top were spectacular despite a bit of lingering morning fog, as we could see many of the surrounding peaks to the south, east, and north of the city - even all the way south into Mexico! We ran into a group of three older gentlemen at the top (there were a lot of older folks hiking up the easier, switchback trail on the front side of the mountain), one of whom introduced himself as former San Diego Chargers Defensive End Earl Faison. He was the 1961 AFL rookie of the year, and was on the 1963 AFL championship team that beat the Patriots 51-10. We all talked with him for a bit and it turns out that he was actually from Charlotte, NC! It was awesome to run into him up at the summit, and one of his friends was nice enough to take our picture. The hike down went well and we made it back in time to have some breakfast at Mike's place before heading home.

Today has been spent, well, watching college football and hanging out at the house... pretty typical for a Saturday in the fall. Ryan just got home from his Saturday morning practice with local high school crew teams, and we've changed over to the USC versus Washington game. It's been a great first week out here, and I'm looking forward to getting more engaged on campus during the coming week with my orientation sessions during the beginning of the week and the first day of classes on Thursday.

More to come from La Jolla in the near future.

On the way up Cowles Mountain.

The view looking back down the trail to the east.

Burcu, Gil, Mike, and the view looking west from the peak!

Looking out toward Miramar from the summit.

1 comment:

  1. We were thinking the same thing while watching the same ball game last weekend. You, in the Swamp, pulling for the gators. But, I agree. You made the right choice and La Jolla/UCSD is the right place. Go Tritons!

    ReplyDelete